Friday, January 15, 2010

Hollywood in Yoloten

January 11, 2010

Random people have been telling me for weeks that something was going to happen today, but I didn't quite know what. My students told me specifically:

Make sure Monday January 11 you are free from 3:00 until 10:00. Be at home and await instructions.

"Angela did you know there's going to be a party for you at the disco on Monday night?" a friend of mine told me last night.

"Ahhhh...so it's at the disco..." I said with a smile. It's hard to keep secrets in such a small town.

At about 4:30 a student showed up with a piece of paper with instructions: Do you think California is the only place for Hollywood? Well you're wrong! Follow the arrows throughout our lovely town to find Yoloten's own Hollywood

So a few other volunteers and I wandered through the streets following the arrows that they had strategically posted and then when we arrived at the park two of them jumped out of a nearby car and kidnapped me. We drove around the block until we got to the door of the disco where all my students screamed "SURPRISE!"

It was incredible...they made a Hollywood-themed party and named it the Yoloten Angels Awards.

Throughout the disco they hung their projects from the past two years...the posters they made for Earth Day, the vision boards they made for their future, etc.

They presented everyone with different awards for the work they did throughout the past two years, and throughout the awards they did different songs and dances. It was absolutely INCREDIBLE.

I can't even describe how much time and effort those kids put into that party. They said they'd been working on it for over two months, practicing dance routines, etc.

At the end they presented me with my award: 'Best Angel'.

It was the most fantastic night... one that will live in my memory forever.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That... is incredible. :) Coming home is going to be anticlimactic. :(

bryn said...

the picture you painted of this night brought tears to my eyes, angela <3 it's so incredible what you've accomplished in the last two years. i admire you so much. can't wait to see you :)