Monday, January 04, 2010

Eat FRESH!

December 26, 2009

Christmas 2009.

Scene: My friend Dan and I have just killed a chicken for dinner. Well, he did the actual killing since I’m a girl I’m forbidden to end the life of an animal. I’m pouring boiling water over the carcass and plucking out the feathers.

“Man, this takes FOREVER! I swear Turkmen are so good at this,” I complained. “When my relatives from the village do this it only takes them like, ten minutes.”

“Well, think of it this way,” Dan said. “They’d probably have a really tough time ordering a Subway sandwich.”

True that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha! That exact scenario happened to me when I was living in Germany. I was with a German girl and trying to order my food in German when I reached an impasse, so I looked at her with my sheep-in-the-headlights look.

When, later, we went to a Subway, her English being better than my German, I thought she'd be ok, but the same thing happened to her. She was quickly overwhelmed.

Didju know that the word "pickel" means "pimple" in German? You do now. :)