Saturday, November 24, 2007

Giardia Stinks



I have giardia, but I'm dealing with it.

It caused many strange things to exit my body and also caused me to officially become a Peace Corps Volunteer. Yup…that’s right…

Honestly, it was a pretty rough week.

Yet after a riveting discussion on pinworms last Tuesday, my giardia seems quite lovely.

In other more important news, I found out where I’ll be for the next two years…I’ll be in the fabulous city of Yoleten in the region Mary, in southwest Turkmenistan. It’s a pretty big city, of about 25,000 people. I’m surprised because it means that things are going to be a lot easier for me than I expected. I might even have an internet café!

It couldn’t be a better fit…people just light up when describing Yoleten. Apparently it’s very green and they have a disco. That’ll be interesting…

The best part is that my new host mom is a Russian teacher, which makes my next project to commit as much time as I can to learning Russian.

What’s even more awesome is that I have fabulous people in my velayat (region) and I’m only about an hour from the velayat capital city Mary.

The next two years are going to be amazing. As long as I can fend off the pinworms, anyway…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So of course I looked up Giardia in google and it looks like you just ingested some tainted feces. No big.

I think any and everyone who reads your blog knows how strong you are and that you can kick much ass. You're bigger than this bug despite being the littlest Angela. :)

I have an idea for something to send you once I get back. I think you'll enjoy it. :)

Michael Roth said...

I think a kiss on the tummy and 30 minutes of me rubbing your tummy would make it go away.

It's a procedure used many many times in the ER and other medical places.