Friday, July 11, 2008

Saigon You Take My Breath Away

I loved Cambodia, but Vietnam has stolen my heart.

Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon) has been amazing...I could absolutely live here.

I met a pompous English fellow last night. He told me that we crazy Americans have butchered the good English language.

"We GAVE you the bloody dialect and you just rip it apart!" he said. "Nobody in America can speak proper bloody English."

I continued to listen to his rant against Americans...

"You Americans are so fat," he said. "In England we have large people but not like you Americans. How can you let yourself GET that way???"

It went on...

"In America you're so damn picky about your food. You go into a restaurant and it takes you a lifetime to order because you're so particular about every little thing. In England they just bring you a bloody plate of food! And you eat it!"

"We have the strongest currency in the world, us English people. We GAVE the world English- we never learn a second language. What's the point? The whole world speaks English."

This was my favorite: "You Americans think the whole bloody world revolves around you. You're just a bunch of wankers."

Ohhhhh how that made me laugh. I love people.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can be a bit of a wanker sometimes. I acknowledge and embrace this fact. :)

I'm happy you're having a good time abroad, baby A! :D