Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Heatwaves

April 29, 2008

It’s hard to imagine that just a few months ago we didn’t even use our refrigerator because it was so cold.


It’s also hard to imagine that I laughed when I was given sunblock with SPF 70 as a going away present last September.

Now it’s so hot that even food inside the refrigerator just can’t get cold enough.
It’s so hot that when one of the teachers at my school gave me a bottle of cold milk today she looked me fiercely in the eye and said, “GO STRAIGHT HOME AND BOIL THIS, NOW.” By the time I walked ten minutes to my home, it was already lukewarm.
And it’s only going to get worse.

I vow not to complain for the next four months about how much the heat sucks. But I have to say that it’s only the end of April and already hitting 100 degrees, and I have absolutely no idea what’s coming. I have absolutely no idea how to handle 130 degree weather.

My host brother and I sat outside today and stared at the garden as I moaned and groaned about how hot it was.

“This is nothing,” he said with a smile. “Just wait. In one month it’ll be so hot you won’t even be able to move.”

No comments: