Friday, April 18, 2008

Success

April 15, 2008

For the past three months I’ve been thinking a lot about my purpose here…what projects I want to start thinking about at school…just in general how I can be effective. I’ve been nervous because I haven’t really felt like I’ve been successful here in my community yet. I have English Clubs that kids rarely attend anymore, I’m dealing with more and more situations which make my self-doubt rise, and my language skills are hardly where I want them to be.

But then last night my perspective changed.

My host mother and I were in a deep discussion and she said, “Angela, I think you were meant to come live here with our family. I think you were sent here by God.”

And I said, “REALLY!”

And she said, “Before you came, things were different.” She told me that she and my host brother used to fight all the time about all sorts of things but now things are a lot calmer. She also told me that before I came into their lives they never, ever ate vegetables.

“You have created a good climate in this house,” she said.

And that is one hell of a success story.

No comments: