Monday, March 24, 2008

Veggies in the HOUSE

March 23, 2008

Fresh vegetables are all around us now that spring has arrived and to celebrate its glory I made a massive salad a couple days ago.

“You can’t eat that!” various members of my host family said as they saw what I was making.

“You’re going to EAT that without cooking it?” they would ask. “But, why?”

“Angela, that’s not food,” my host mother said disapprovingly.

I didn’t care. I ate it with such joy and enthusiasm you would have thought it was served on a crystal platter with a glass of chardonnay at my side.

The taste of raw vegetables inside my mouth was simply indescribable and I just smiled and chewed while everyone looked at me like I was from another planet.

“I’ve been here three months now,” I told them. “I’ve eaten your food for three months. I love it, it’s great, but I need this. I am to vegetables as you are to bread.”

“Yes, yes, we understand,” they said.

But they still think I’m nuts…and that’s quite alright.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, if it's any consolation at all, I think you're nuts too. :)

Again, if you need cash somehow...