Friday, March 14, 2008

Oba for Life

March 8, 2008


I went to the oba today and it was awesome. We climbed on top of haystacks, played with chickens and made the cows very angry.

Life in the country is pretty sweet.

I even peed in an outhouse with no door or roof while a giant bull stared at me the whole time.

Life in the oba isn’t easy though…the nearest water source in this village was half a mile down the road and there was only one banya per I don’t know how many families to bathe in.

To give myself the ultimate culture shock I visited the Yoloten disco this evening after I returned from the oba…. surrounded by beautiful Russians dressed in their best and Enrique Eglesias pounding through my ears, it was one of the most interesting nights I’ve had in this cute little town.

Obas are cool
Discos rule

It’s days like these that I never want to leave Turkmenistan.

No comments: