Sunday, December 09, 2007

Mystery Meat

December 7, 2007



I walked outside this afternoon to see my host father holding a large, bloody axe. There was a stump of wood in front of him, supporting a large piece of raw meat.

He continued to reach into a large, bloody bag to pull out animal parts and chop them up on top of his block.

I walked closer but when he chopped what looked like a snout in half I jumped back and asked him what it was.

When he told me it was a cow I ran into the house to find another large metal bowl full of animal parts.

“Gyzulgul!” I yelled. I pointed to the bowl and asked if it was Penelope.

Everyone started laughing and Gyzulgul reassured me that the large mass of intestines came from someone else’s yard, and was not our beloved cow. It really was a relief…I was growing fond of Penelope’s daily moos.

So later that night for dinner I received a bowl of what looked like meat in front of me and I guess it was the cow’s stomach. It was rubbery and salty and each bite was really weird.

The irony is that my own intestines have been on a giardia rollercoaster for the past few weeks. I haven’t really been back to normal ever since I got sick, so I’m really curious about what will happen now.

If your own body isn’t quite working properly, is it safe to eat intestines?

Yes, I try to push the limits here. My stomach is full of stomach. Pretty nifty, eh?

1 comment:

bryn said...

mmm, stomach.