Sunday, October 28, 2007

Let It Be

October 28, 2007


Today is T-stan Independence Day which means fun, fireworks and lotsa people. My host family and I went into Asgabat today, stopped into a café to have some cake and coffee, went to the theater (and I somewhat understood the storyline of the play, which made me extra proud of myself) and tried to watch the fireworks but by the time we got there it was too late, and it was over.

It was an awesome good time.

I was hanging out with my friend Jon today and he said he knows why RPCVs are so laid back…it’s unimaginable that any situation back home can be as bothersome as things you are confronted with here. I know I haven’t been here that long, but I believe it.

I thought of that as I cleaned up the mass grave of flies that’s been sitting in the corner of my room…and when I saw the massive crowd of people gathered around the front entrance of the theater before the ticket taker.

I wonder how ridiculous it would be to make it my goal to introduce the concept of lines to Turkmen people.

My Turkmen family says my Turkmen is getting really really good. I think I threw them off when I walked in and said, “Good morning, what’s new?” And we embarked upon a conversation about how we were all feeling very lazy and didn’t want to do anything. It was a nice, long breakfast…obviously because we didn’t feel like doing anything else. I really love my host family.

I have a big zit on my chin…probably from the excess of oil that I’m consuming in the food here. Next Saturday (Nov 3) we’re going to visit an underground lake. I can’t explain how excited I am to completely be covered in water. Not that tin cup/bucket showers aren’t satisfying, of course.

Tomorrow (Oct 29) is a big day…we’re being interviewed for permanent site placement…and I have to say that after our day camp experience with the kids I’m hoping to be placed in a new site that hasn’t had volunteers there yet. It will be kind of cool to be the first person to introduce new teaching methods and games and interactions with the kids. But anyway, all things happen for a reason; best to just let it be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I swear Angela, it's like I'm there with you...lol! What an amazing person you are for doing this, and being so positive. I'm glad your journaling this, cause you need to write a book when you are done!

Happy T-Stan day, and have fun getting wet at the lake.

We still miss your smile and enthusiasm at work, just not the same.

Cynde

art://word said...

Sweet Cupcake!
Just pretend the zit is from all the Halloween candy!
Happy Halloween and T-stan independence day and any other holidays they may be celebrating in the near future!

Ci manchi!
Wir vermiss dir!
hamba kahle!