Wednesday, October 17, 2007

October 14, 2007

October 14, 2007

Today I did the dishes.

It doesn’t sound complicated, but it’s really not all that easy here. And I’m a little concerned because they don’t have any dish soap here. Maybe I’ll go buy some today.

I spent a lovely afternoon with my host family enjoying the 108th cup of tea I’ve had since I’ve been in this country over the past 11 days. I realized that I really like sitting on the floor and I really like tea. Too bad I have no clue what anyone is saying, ever.

But I’m making sentences. I successfully explained what I did yesterday, what I’m doing today, and what I’m doing tomorrow to my host family. And that I do not have any children. I think they asked why, but I didn’t even bother to go there. In Turkmen standards, to be 26 and unmarried without children is pretty uncool.

Yesterday at lunch we watched some Turkmen music videos and it was pretty much the most hilarious thing I’ve ever seen. I’m going to have to find the Turkmen Black Eyed Peas dvd and bring it home with me after my time here is up.

Today my fellow Annau village volunteers and I are going on a quest to find a cold beer in this town…if we are successful, I will be a very, happy person. Most places don’t chill beverages here…they’re just sold warm anywhere you go. Don’t ask why, I have no clue. I have actually had two cold drinks since I’ve been in this country: one cold beer at the hotel in Asgabat, and then one cold coke at my fellow volunteer Kevin’s rich mom’s house. Yup that’s it.

I’m going to be truthful and admit that I really like it here. I can’t conjugate verbs and I miss wearing jeans and I’ve started drinking soda again but I’m content. I like walking everywhere, and I like not having a cell phone. I like the people here and I think things are going very, very well so far.

No comments: