Saturday, October 31, 2009

Two Years

October 25, 2009



Twenty five months have passed and I’m still in Turkmenistan.

I never thought I wouldn’t make it, but I didn’t know exactly how it would pan out.

Two years ago I could barely tell you that the weather was crappy. Today I sit with my friends and gossip and share stories and give advice and so on.

Two years ago I was freaking out about being sick and so careful about everything I ate. I complained about food being too oily and made fun of the way Turkmen cooked. Today I couldn’t care less…if it looks good I’ll eat it, and that includes ridiculous amounts of fat.

Two years ago I didn’t understand how people lived without vacuum cleaners. How did they clean their carpets? Today I actually enjoy sweeping the carpet with straw brooms. It really does work.

Two years ago I cried when people made fun of me. Today I laugh with them. They think I’m funny and weird, well I think the same thing about them so who the hell cares?

Two years ago I didn’t understand how delicious tomatoes are. Today I remain obsessed with them and will probably continue to be this way for a long time.

Two years ago I was scared of the bazaar. I didn’t like the way people stared at me and was afraid of asking people how much stuff was for fear of them making fun of me. Today I stroll through the bazaar constantly talking with all the sellers individually because we’ve gotten to know each other so well over the past two years. They tell me what’s just in, what’s freshest, and ask me about other things I bought the previous week.

Two years ago I was afraid of teaching English. I didn’t know what I was doing and was weird and awkward. Today I work with some of the smartest kids I’ve ever met and have worked with them on a huge variety of topics. They have become my light, my life and the reason why I’m here.

Two years went by so fast.

2 comments:

Flo said...

I am so, so ridiculously proud of you Angela. You are one of my biggest heroes <3

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Flo said. You are one of my heros. Just have you have grown, so have the people around you of Turkmenistan have grown. It's all good and thank you for your service.

A big concern of mine is that when your job is done you will get back to America you will drop off the planet for all of us that have been following your adventures. Please remember your fans here.