Saturday, August 22, 2009

Party Like You’re in K-stan

August 17, 2009

Oh what a weekend…

Saturday was the Kazakh wedding. Two people I barely know were joined together in holy matrimony.

Decked out in a hot pink dress (yes, that’s right guys. HOT PINK) I sat in the corner with some other people I barely knew and toasted with them and swallowed the small shot glass of horrible Turkmen vodka.

And then everything started burning.

I know I was warned about Turkmen vodka before I came here and I usually try to stay away from the benzene-like substances, but I can’t refuse a toast.

Unfortunately I’m so damn polite that I continued to take shot after shot of awful Turkmen vodka and before I knew it I was taken out of the wedding celebration, stumbling through a dirt field and put in my friend’s car to be taken home.

“She’s totally trashed,” they announced to my host mother at the door.

Holy crap, they couldn’t just drop me off and go? Ugh.

“Angela why did you drink so much?” my host mother complained the next day.

“The toasts,” I moaned. “They just kept making me make toasts.”

“Do you know you could hardly walk last night?” I was informed later.

“Oh shut up,” I grumbled. I had just thrown up the entire contents of my stomach and was not in the mood to hear it. “You guys are making this all up.”

NEVER DRINKING AGAIN.

No comments: