Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Return to Normalcy



June 29, 2008

What is the greatest thing about spending five days in Almaty?

I feel beautiful.

I’m not covered in dust and sweat. I’m not tired and lethargic because of the heat. I’m not asked a million questions every day. Nobody has asked me to either teach them English or take them back with me to America.

Over the last few days I have:

Eaten seafood for lunch and dinner every night.

Worn makeup.

Worn jeans.

Gone to a movie theater.

Had a Jack and Coke.

Felt the mist and drizzle of a light rain on my face.

Eaten cheese every day.

Checked my email every day. (Usually TWICE!)

Used an ATM.

Eaten sushi.

Gone swimming.

Been stuck in traffic.

Slept in a bed with a mattress.

Peed more than once a day.

Showered.

I feel clean, refreshed, and beautiful. I’m not sweating out all my liquids and I’m not complaining about how dirty my feet are. Because they’re not.

Every volunteer has their own set of problems, but after talking to the PC volunteers in Kazakhstan I realized how incredibly unique and interesting my own Peace Corps experience is in Turkmenistan. Many had indoor plumbing and some of them even have internet at home! Pretty awesome!

Me: So how much does material cost in KZ?

Them: Material? You guys don’t buy your clothes in stores?

Me: Ummm….clothing stores?

Or:

Them: What are the movie theaters like in T-stan?

Me: Ummm…movie theaters?

I could sit here all day and write about my hardships and frustrations, as everyone else could. But the past few days have opened my eyes and inspired me on a new level.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Being in a place so different makes your experiences that much more valuable.

I remember chillin' at the peak of one of the Swiss Alps with a handful of other people (from God knows where) and when someone would leave, we'd all say "bye."

We didn't know each other or where we were all from, but we shared something.

So... didju have an opportunity to use a phone at all? :P