Monday, June 16, 2008

Blowing in the Wind



June 15, 2008


I thought I’d be at a higher level of success after six months here in Yoloten, but how is success measured?

My biggest accomplishment so far has been getting to work with all the English teachers this month. It seems small, but the fact that they’ve shown up consistently every day the teacher’s club is a fantastic success.

My other project ideas have been denied, and at first I was pretty upset but there will be others in the future. EVERY cloud has a silver lining…just have to look hard sometimes to find it.

I was pretty depressed over these past few weeks over the things that have been happening, but I realized as I was walking home yesterday that overall I really do love it here.

For every mean boy who calls me bad names, throws rocks at me and makes fun of me on the street there are over 20 sweet children and adults giving me hugs, thanking me for being here, and generally being kind.

I have to see the good in these situations. I have to find the good in these people who don’t understand what it’s like to be a foreigner. Otherwise I’ll bury myself in anger and never want to talk to anyone again.

No comments: