Friday, January 04, 2008

Yo Yo Yoleten

January 1, 2008



I spent the first few days in Yoleten moaning and groaning about how much it sucked to be away from all my friends, how much I missed Annau, and how I didn’t want to learn a whole new town.

I took a trip into Mary yesterday and spent the whole time pissed off and angry that I couldn’t figure out where anything was, I couldn’t figure out where I needed to open my bank account, I couldn’t understand anything anyone was telling me at the telegraf office when I tried to make a phone call to Ashgabat, and then of course the internet was down at the internet café.

When I asked questions in Turkmen, people responded in Russian and I just wanted to cry.

Then I ran into one of my few Turkmen friends, and she was my saving grace. She helped me open my bank account and make my phone call…things that seem so freaking easy but really were a big pain in the ass. Especially when there’s a zillion people packed into the telegraf office all wanting to make phone calls as well.

It took a few days to adjust but I can honestly say I truly love it here. Yoleten is a fantastic town with a humongous bazaar that puts the Annau bazaar to shame. Tree-lined streets, streams and canals with cute little bridges over them, parks and all kinds of little shops are all over the place.

But overall, the best thing about living here is the amazing support and care I have from my new host family. They are an amazing group of people and I felt truly blessed to ring in the new year with them.

I'm pretty lucky out here.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

In order to find yourself, first you must lose yourself.

I used to like pantomiming instructions to people who don't speak english. There's much more to communication than just speaking.

I'm glad you're enjoying Yoleten. I'll be home in just about a day and I will send you a care package. :)