Friday, January 18, 2008

Stormy Weather

January 8, 2008



At first I thought the snowy weather was freakin awesome because I’d just finished reading the Golden Compass and every time I journeyed through the cold I thought of little Lyra clutching to Iorek Borkenson’s white bear fur, plunging through the Arctic.

But I don’t have a massive armored polar bear to carry me through the cold. Nor do I have Lyra’s special furs and skins to keep myself warm in this crazy weather. I just have a pair REI snow shoes and a Turkish coat that’s already starting to wear and tear.

It’s so cold here that the icicles on my house could be used as registered weapons, I have to pour warm water on my toothpaste to unfreeze it before actually being used to brush my teeth, five layers of clothes isn’t enough, doing laundry is impossible, gathering water from outside is a pain because it’s all frozen, taxi drivers can charge three times the amount to drive into the city, and I am perfectly content sitting at home watching RUTV and writing pointless blogs.

But one thing is for sure: The thick white blanket of snow that covers Yoleten is absolutely GORGEOUS and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. If nothing else, after this stint you'll really appreciate things like temperate weather.

Before joining the Army, I only *thought* I knew what hot and cold were. :P

Flo said...

Oh my god Angela, I can't believe how cold it is out there! The toothbrush issue alone is enough to make me feel cold, you must be dying for some hot chocolate or something. Let me know if there's anything I can send you, I'd love to get a care package out sometime soon.