Monday, June 08, 2009

Positively Tactless

June 4, 2009

Tact is something Turkmen people sometimes lack, but it's
something that we learn to deal with out here. Last month I gained two
kilos, putting me back to the same weight I was when I came to this
country, and it did not go unnoticed.

"Angela, you look fat," my host brother's friend said a couple weeks ago.

"WHAAAAA?" I said. I had no words.

"Yeah, are you eating a lot more now?" he ased casually, as if he were
asking about our new sheep or the price of tomatoes at the bazar.

"Uhhhh..." I didn't know what to say.

"I guess you're not on a diet, huh," he said.

"I am now," I muttered.

Today was no exception at the bazar, when the lady I buy bread from
every week patted my stomach and said, "Look how fat the American is
getting!"

"Yeah, yeah," I grumbled.

"We'll still find you a nice Turkmen boy," she said. "Don't worry."

True story.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww Angela. :(

You ALWAYS look MARVELOUS! :D

Unknown said...

I'm going to hug ALL of your kilos! :D