Friday, May 08, 2009

Happily Unmarried

May 4, 2009

Sometimes I get so overwhelmed by the questions people ask me that I just start messing around with them.

And it makes me laugh.

Yesterday in a taxi a woman became ecstatic to hear that I was American.

“Are you married?” she asked.

“Nope. Not married. Still waiting for that special someone,” I answered with a smile.

If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me that effin question I would never have to work again for the rest of my life.

“You’re not married? You have to meet my son!” she exclaimed.

“REALLY?” I feigned excitement. “Is he handsome?”

“Ohhh YES! He is sooo handsome! The most handsome boy in Yoloten!”

“OOOOOH! Is he smart?”

“Ohhhh YES! He is so smart! He studied in Turkey for four years!”

“Wow! Really? How old is he?” I asked.

“He’s 28! Just like you! It’s perfect!”

I think she already started planning the wedding in her head.

“Great! Is he rich?” I asked.

And with that she stopped talking for a few seconds and looked at me skeptically.

“Rich?” she asked. “Well you’re American! Don’t you have money?”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And you're a PCV! I can see why she'd assume you were a cash money chamillionaire.