Friday, November 28, 2008

Turkeys Turkeys and more Turkeys

The time finally arrived yesterday, Thanksgiving morning, for us to end the lives of the turkeys my friend in the next village over had been raising for months.

I arrived in the early morning to find both turkeys already, and the plucking process about half-way through. But everyone had a sad look on their faces and the first thing out of Halley's mouth was, "We had a problem."

"What's that?" I asked. The turkeys looked fine to me (it's not every day that I examine dead turkeys)

"A wild dog took off with the head of one of our turkeys. He took most of the breast meat with him."

After all that work...months of pumping these turkeys full of garlic and healthy food, a dog came and ruined it all.

But it was okay...we cut around the area where he chewed, plucked off the rest of the feathers and cooked those suckers up and it was an absolutely fantastic Thanksgiving.

I am so grateful to be here. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We need an Xmas entry. :P