Friday, September 12, 2008

I’ll Have a Bear, Please

September 7, 2008

Walking into my fifth form class during the first day of school was incredibly uplifting. I can’t imagine how a person wouldn’t smile seeing those 27 adorable, grinning faces.


“HOW ARE YOU????” I asked.


“GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!” They yelled giving me a thumbs up.


That’s why I love my job.


One of my advanced students came in to class this week and said, “I am so exhausted today!” and I was crazy with pride because we had just gone over extreme adjectives this week.


It’s incredible being around these students. I asked them this week, “What is ideal?”


And their answers were as far and outlandish as you could possibly imagine.


As for the ones who are struggling and working their butts off to get to a more advanced level, I have extremely high hopes. Some of them never miss a lesson once and I just want for them to not lose interest.


On the other hand, I’m getting really tired of explaining the verb “to be” and scolding kids for saying “beer” when they mean to say “bear” among other things. I’ve repeated myself over and over again and will continue to do so.


But I guess that’s part of what I’m here to do.


Overall I can’t complain about the little things…how it’s really hard for me to get a classroom often…how people steal my chalk…kids who come into lessons just to chat with their friends…and I really hate it when people constantly come to the door asking to talk with me about lessons when I’m in the middle of giving a lesson.


It’s irritating, but I guess the overall picture is good.

No comments: