Friday, September 12, 2008

All My Dreams are Just Islands in the Sky

September 6, 2008


I went to a conference in Almaty two months ago and it was so interesting to hear these teachers talk about the importance of increasing kids’ interest in reading.


But how the hell can that happen if there’s no books?


The US embassy allows its centers to make one request for books a year, which is a little irritating.


All I can think about are the millions and trillions of books just sitting around in libraries and schools across the US. We have three centers here in Turkmenistan and luckily there’s one in Mary, but when I asked what book sets we had available, I was given “My Antonia” which is way above their heads.


I’m definitely not complaining, because for one, at least I have advanced students, and secondly, I’m lucky to have any books at all.


I just wish a set of 7 educational, interesting books would appear magically in front of me and I could start a book club for these kids.


Maybe I’ll write a letter to Oprah…



No comments: