Thursday, September 20, 2007

My Freak Out Song

I have now spent the majority of the evening staring blankly around my messy room and I realize I have not made the slightest dent in the enormous load of things I have to take care of before I leave.

This is really, really bothering me.

Why am I such a procrastinator? It's like a disease, thankfully not bad enough to get me medically disqualified from the Peace Corps, but bad enough that I will be freaking out until I am finally on that plane.

With that in mind, I think that everyone needs a freak out song. You know, the song that plays over and over inside your head whenever you're freaking out. Mine gets louder with the situation. For instance, when I'm getting a cavity filled and the dentist begins drilling...it's pretty much exploding inside my head. I guess it's my way of screaming at myself to let me know that everything is going to be okay.

I don't really know why, but for the past few years my freak out song has been "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" which leads me to wonder why, for some reason, Judy Garland in a pair of ruby red slippers in the land of Oz, is somewhat calming to me.

So then what will Turkmen music be like and will it get ridiculously stuck in my head like a bloody Wham! song?

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqW7Q2crk04

And if anyone asks me why the heck those men wear such big hats...well...

http://www.turkmenistaninfo.ru/?page_id=6&type=article&elem_id=page_6/magazine_33/264&lang_id=en

""A fur hat, a headwear of Turkmen men, is an embodiment of strength and courage. A hat is worn not for keeping head warm, but for the honor. A Turkmen never leaves a hat. If you have no one to speak to, talk to a hat."

Awesome. Simply awesome.

No comments: