Friday, December 18, 2009

Vampires!

December 9, 2009

Awhile back some amazing friends of mine sent me the Twilight series, which I quickly discovered is a huge phenomenon in the United States, as the second movie, “New Moon” just came out. I went through the entire book series in about a week and a half and they were quickly sought after (and still are) by other volunteers as well.

But when my students found out that I had all four books it became an obsession.

Classroom chatter erupted with Edward and Bella and how hot he was in the movie and on and on and on.

“Enough!” I yelled at them one day. “The story doesn’t even get interesting until book four when she becomes a vampire, anyway!”

“WHY DID YOU TELL US THAT!!!!!!” they screamed.

“Oops!” I laughed. “Sorry guys, back to work.”

“That was soooooo mean!” they glared at me.

To say they’re obsessed is quite the understatement. When we play around with names someone is always Edward and Bella. Examples in class go back to Edward and Bella. One student even requested I please download some Twilight photos when I go into the city to use the internet.

They seriously can’t get enough.

But yesterday was definitely the kicker.

“Angela, do vampires really exist?” one student asked me. “Maral says they do.”

I looked behind her to see Maral quietly laughing.

“Of course they do! You didn’t know that?” I said.

“What? No…I don’t believe you,” she said.

“Vampires exist everywhere! It’s common knowledge, Jeren.”

“Really?”

“YES! Vampires have existed for thousands of years and will continue to do so. I can’t believe you didn’t know this!”

“But how can it be true?” she asked with wide eyes.

“Vampires are EVERYWHERE. Especially in Turkmeni-“ I couldn’t hold it in any longer and the laugh erupted from inside of me.

“YOU’RE LYING! I KNEW IT!” she yelled.

“I’m sorry!” I laughed. “It was just too good I couldn’t help it.”

Anyone interested in making some vampire-obsessed teenagers smile? Send a copy of “New Moon” to Yoloten. Movie theaters don’t exist out here, but pirated DVDs are always welcome.

1 comment:

bryn said...

dude. i'm only on the third book. i'm so mad at you.