Monday, April 27, 2009

The Storm from Hell

April 20, 2009

Today started out as any other typical day in Yoloten…beautiful sunny skies, warm weather, etc.

I wandered through the bazaar wearing jeans, a t-shirt and flip flops, buying tomatoes and looking for some cheap apples.

Then, all of a sudden, I looked up at the sky. It was dark brown.

I turned in the other direction and within two minutes a powerful gust of wind came sweeping through, knocking over the sellers’ products and causing a massive panic.

It didn’t stop.

The wind came rolling through, more powerful than I’ve ever experienced before and the sellers started screaming, grabbing their things as fast as they could.

I turned to go back to the street to find my way home and the rain had already started, but it was unlike any other rain I had ever experienced. It pelted down viciously and turned to hail in less than a few minutes.

I was completely soaked, so I just started running.

I wasn’t the only one…everyone was running for cover, running for their homes, running somewhere to get out of this madness.

The electricity was out the entire day and parts of the roof came falling off. Some people lost their entire roofs, and the trees remain overturned in the streets.

Rumor has it that there will be another storm this week. I don’t know what’s up with this weather, but it’s been pretty insane out here…

No comments: