Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Poverty

Nothing could have prepared me for the level of poverty that I see here.

This country is so immensely overpopulated and people just have nowhere to go.

Seeing homelessness in LA, New York and San Francisco is nothing compared to the amount of people sleeping on the streets here. Experiencing poverty in Turkmenistan is absolutely nowhere near the intensity of the situation here.

Never, have I ever seen such immense poverty at such a high level. Never have I ever seen such destitution as I see here.

It sounds like a cliche, but this country is slowly changing my outlook on this world and my thoughts as to what I will do in the future. Reading and watching this on television, and then having multitudes of disfigured, starving children reach into your pockets, begging for anything you can give them are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

Life here is mindblowingly indescribable.

No comments: